Re: First draft of review of policy must usage

> On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 12:10:44PM -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:
>> Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> writes:

>> > No, it means "Let's release at _some_ point, rather than waiting for
>> > five years". It's not as if we haven't been taking this type of
>> > shortcuts for woody and sarge either.
>
>> I disagree with you.
>
> Well, that makes you wrong then.  The etch RC policy is directly derived
> from the sarge RC policy, *with new requirements added*.

So I disagree with the Sarge policy :-D

>> I fail to see where in the Constituition say's that RM team can ignore
>> a Debian Policy rule.
>
> There's nothing in the constitution that says RMs are *bound* by policy's
> definition of what is or isn't a release-critical bug, either.

Neither there's something there that says RM are allowed to ignore the policy.

> Anyway, it doesn't make sense to make POSIX sh an RC requirement for etch at
> this stage of the release cycle, but I would be in favor of the release team
> endorsing 0-day NMUs for any such bugs.  I'll discuss this with Andi.

If the POSIX sh affect the usability of the package it's a RC
bug. It'll make the package useless to people using dash as shell, for
example. See bellow:

,----[ http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer.en.html#severities ]
| grave
|     makes the package in question unusable or mostly so, or causes
|     data loss, or introduces a security hole allowing access to the
|     accounts of users who use the package.
`----

That's my understanding of this.

--