Re: Are packages allowed to ship files in /srv?

On Sun, Jul 23, 2006 at 11:39:03AM +0300, George Danchev wrote:
> On Sunday 23 July 2006 11:25, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > George Danchev <danchev@spnet.net> writes:
> > > I don't see /var/www mentioned in FHS, and we have bunch of web-based
> > > applications (think of whatever www-based admin package, like phppgadmin
> > > for instance) and these packages at some point need to install their
> > > files in some document root directory and it will probably be under /srv
> > > in the future.
> >
> > I've never understood why such applications don't install their files
> > under /usr/share.  At least with Apache, there's no need to install files
> > under the document root; you can use Alias directives and similar
> > techniques to serve files from anywhere in the file system.  I assume
> > other full-featured web servers have similar capabilities.
>
> Ops, you are right. Good web app packages (like phppgadmin) install their
> files under /usr/share. In fact such apps either insist on having a
> particular webserver installed if they need a special feature, or in case
> they are too generic then depends: on the webserver virtual package, so I
> believe the webserver type is not a problem.

This issue with regards to webservers has been extensively discussed[0]
:)

Have a look at the WebApps common work[] that we've done for more info
on how we see webapps working.

Cheers,
Neil

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-webapps/2005/06/msg00035.html