Re: Are packages allowed to ship files in /srv?

On Sunday 23 July 2006 11:25, Russ Allbery wrote:
> George Danchev <danchev@spnet.net> writes:
> > I don't see /var/www mentioned in FHS, and we have bunch of web-based
> > applications (think of whatever www-based admin package, like phppgadmin
> > for instance) and these packages at some point need to install their
> > files in some document root directory and it will probably be under /srv
> > in the future.
>
> I've never understood why such applications don't install their files
> under /usr/share.  At least with Apache, there's no need to install files
> under the document root; you can use Alias directives and similar
> techniques to serve files from anywhere in the file system.  I assume
> other full-featured web servers have similar capabilities.

Ops, you are right. Good web app packages (like phppgadmin) install their
files under /usr/share. In fact such apps either insist on having a
particular webserver installed if they need a special feature, or in case
they are too generic then depends: on the webserver virtual package, so I
believe the webserver type is not a problem.

> The URL space of a given web server varies so much by site that personally
> I prefer not having any web application available via the web immediately
> after package installation.  Maybe it's short-sighted of me, but as a
> person installing packages, I always prefer to have the package not serve
> its files by default but instead tell me in README.Debian what
> configuration fragment I should add.

True. The principle of less surprise.

So, seems you have your points right wrt /srv.

fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB