Re: Are packages allowed to ship files in /srv?

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:

> One side of the argument is that /srv is specified in the FHS and footnote
> [20] implicitly gives permission for the distribution to install files in
> it, so lintian shouldn't complain and should be happy with files installed
> in /srv by the package.  It is, after all, the FHS-mandated location for
> certain types of data.
>
> The other side (disclosure: this is my personal opinion) is that the
> second-to-last sentence of the second paragraph argues strongly against
> shipping files in /srv as part of the package.  By doing so, the package
> is imposing structure on /srv; if the local administrator wants a
> different structure, it's difficult for them to maintain that change.

I tend to think that the footnote does not give implicit permission to
*ship* files in the package.  Instead, a post-installation script or
simply a service startup script might look at some configuration file,
thus learn the structure of /srv that the local admin chose, and create
files there.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster