Re: Date and Upsteam-URL fields

On Thu, 08 Jun 2006, Kai Hendry wrote:
> On 2006-06-08T00:31-0700 Don Armstrong wrote:
> > Is there any reason why
> > zcat /usr/share/doc/<package>/changelog.Debian.gz |perl -ne \
> > 'next unless /^ -- .+?\s{2}(.+)$/; print $1,qq(\n) and exit;';
> > isn't sufficient for all non-native packages?
>
> What if that package isn't installed on your system?

Then, FE:

wget -O- -q http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/a/apache2/current/changelog.txt |
 perl -ne 'next unless /^ -- .+?\s{2}(.+)$/; print $1,qq(\n) and exit;';

> It's all also uglier than apt-cache show package | grep ^Date:

Possibly, but what you're proposing duplicates the information that
already exists; this seems to me to be rather suboptimal. [And it's
fairly trivial to hide the above behind some sort of nice frontend.]

> > > Next field is URL: or URI: (http://www.w3.org/Addressing/)
> > > Or perhaps Upsteam-URL:
> > > A reference to upstream's homepage.
> > That should be in /usr/share/doc/<package>/copyright; some packages
> > also have it in the description.
>
> Sure, but lets make it a little more concrete.
>
> Upstream: http://...
> is probably sufficient after thinking about it.

You might as well start by looking for something like that, then just
fall back upon anything that looks like a URL if there's no indication
which url is the specific upstream location; putting this into the
control file doesn't really make all that much sense to me, since when
it actually matters, watch files are much more useful and even allow
automated processing which is probably what you want anyway.

Don Armstrong

--
The attackers hadn't simply robbed the bank. They had carried off
everything portable, including the security cameras, the carpets, the