Re: watch file in policy

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005, Bluefuture wrote:
> This issue freeze the dehs information system in a quite unusable satus.

No, it doesn't.  IMHO, DEHS is useful even if it has not too many packages
registered.

> 1. get automatic generated watch file from dehs
> 2. check itand
> 3. submit with a wishlist (tag patch) bug to BTS.

Yep, that's the nicest way to do it, and most maintainers will accept such
bugs without any fuss.

> But i doesn't want to submit 6250 bugs to BTS.

In this case, I don't see any other way for you to meet your goal.  It IS a
lot of work, true.  But you don't have to do it all at once...

> So i'm asking to you if is it possbile, for set the dehs information
> system in an usable status, to introduce Debian New Maintainers' Guide
> specifcation 5.10 [4], in some way in the debian policy.

I doubt it.  When about 60-70% of the packages include watch information,
you can try to get a "should" clause into policy. But at the current level
of DEHS adoption, I don't think so.  IMHO anyway.

OTOH, you *can* get it included right now into the developers reference, and
I suggest you post a *short* *summary* of DEHS and its current state every
*two months* (or even a larger interval) to d-d-a.  That will help raise
awareness of DEHS without getting people pissed off.

But the wishlist bugs with patches are still the best way to get what you
want, I think.

  Henrique Holschuh