Re: How much utf-8 do we accept in control files?

Adeodato Simó wrote:

> * Siggy Brentrup [Wed, 07 Apr 2004 10:43:38 +0200]:
>
>> Let me try to reformulate: if we allow anything not representable in
>> ascii in control fields, I see no valid argument to prohibit any
>> alphabet (set of glyphs used to display names etc. in any language)
Right, that I agree with.  :-)

>> Without a complete set of fonts installed there is no way to even
>> distinguish maintainer names written in their own language.
>
>     I'd suggest that names always included an ASCII (or perhaps even
>     Latin1) transcripction. For example, I've seen lately in d-devel a
>     some posts from "Arne Götje (高盛華)". At home, I just see empty
>     squares between the brackets; a few hours ago at a friend's I could
>     see they were eastern glyphs, because an appropiate font was
>     installed.

Actually, that sounds like a very reasonable idea; names can be in whatever
language (UTF-8 only of course), but must include an ASCII transcription
for "compatibility" purposes.

--
Make sure your vote will count.
http://www.verifiedvoting.org/