Re: How much utf-8 do we accept in control files?

On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 10:43:59PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> Hi,

> currently, there are a quite some requests open how much utf-8 is
> acceptable in control-files. Currently at least the following
> requests are open:

> #99324: Default charset should be UTF-8
> #142164: Packages files should be in UTF-8
> #208011: [PROPOSAL] UTF-8 encoding for debian/control
> #241333: policy mentions that changelogs should be utf-8; this is a bug

> Furthermore, some maintainers use already utf-8 for their name (this
> means in debian/control and in the changelog).

While understandable from the maintainer's point of view, luckily to
my knowledge no (e.g.) asian maintainer has done it yet.  If we allow
non ascii in control fields, I see no valid argument to prohibit any
character set.

> It seems quite obvious to me that we shouldn't switch to utf-8 in the control
> files before release of sarge. However, it seems also obvious to me that we
> won't escape allowing utf-8 in the long run. Therefor, I'd suggest to
> officially allow utf-8 (but encourage to stick to ascii) in the control
> files after release of sarge, and till then allow utf-8 only for the
> maintainer/uploader name (as the current use is).

With utf-8 in changelogs either you see some junk or you are forced to
install fonts you'd otherwise never use.

> I'd like to hear your opinions on that.

IMHO, if we go that route we must localize control files like we
already do for debconf templates thus bloating .debs even more or
*shrug* switch to localized archives.

Thanks
 . Siggy