Re: menu-policy update process

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 11:48:35AM -0700, Chris Waters wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 06:34:36PM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> > There are two issue with hints:
> > 1) Nobody understand the hints code, so it is difficult to maintain.
>
> Yes, and furthermore, it's been somewhat broken the last few times
> I've tried it.  I really liked it back when it worked, but I've pretty
> much given up on it.  I've dug through the code a few times, and been
> properly terrified.  The sad part is that tree optimization is a
> pretty standard part of CS -- it shouldn't be this difficult.  If it
> were possible to make it work right, I'd be using it again in a flash.

Please try again. Morten Brix Pedersen has fixed the bugs in the BTS
about it. Feel free to report new one if needed.

*We really need your input*

> > 2) There is no list of hints currently, so this is a problem.
>
> > I don't know how to fix 1).  Point 2) can be used by using debtags[1].
> > This will probably solve the translation problem.
>
> > Opinions ?
>
> Originally we were going to hold off on forming any sort of policy
> about menu hints until we had the system in use for a while, so we
> could see what sort of hints people were going to provide.  Well, it's
> been a while, so maybe we should review the hints we have as a first
> step, and go on from there.
>
> No point in translating hints that we're just going to turn around and
> remove.

Do you want I provide the lists of hints currently in use ?
There is a tarball of all menu entries at
people.debian.org/~ballombe/menu

Do you object to using debtags instead ?

Hints predate me being a DD, so I ignore the old plans about them.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.