Re: menu-policy update process

On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 12:49:32PM -0700, Chris Waters wrote:
> On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 02:48:15PM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> > On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 11:37:40AM -0700, Chris Waters wrote:
> > > I do note that following menu policy seems to be a request -- it says
> > > "please", rather than "should" or "must".  That pleases me.
>
> > Unregistered menu section will not be translated
>
> The translations should be based on what we actually have, not on what
> we once thought we might have.  Yeah, ok, this is an issue, but I
> think it's one we should try to solve, rather than using it as an
> excuse for overly rigid policies.
>
> For that matter, what about menu hints?  Do we have translations for
> all of the various hints that different packages use?

I retract my claim that translation of hints is not needed.  It is
needed if you use them obviously.

There are two issue with hints:
1) Nobody understand the hints code, so it is difficult to maintain.
2) There is no list of hints currently, so this is a problem.

I don't know how to fix 1).  Point 2) can be used by using debtags[1].
This will probably solve the translation problem.

Opinions ?

Cheers,
[1] http://packages.debian.org/debtags

--