Re: menu-policy update process

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 06:34:36PM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 12:49:32PM -0700, Chris Waters wrote:

> > For that matter, what about menu hints?  Do we have translations for
> > all of the various hints that different packages use?

> I retract my claim that translation of hints is not needed.  It is
> needed if you use them obviously.

Yes, I was going to respond and point that out, but I got distracted.
I'm glad you came to the realization.

> There are two issue with hints:
> 1) Nobody understand the hints code, so it is difficult to maintain.

Yes, and furthermore, it's been somewhat broken the last few times
I've tried it.  I really liked it back when it worked, but I've pretty
much given up on it.  I've dug through the code a few times, and been
properly terrified.  The sad part is that tree optimization is a
pretty standard part of CS -- it shouldn't be this difficult.  If it
were possible to make it work right, I'd be using it again in a flash.

> 2) There is no list of hints currently, so this is a problem.

> I don't know how to fix 1).  Point 2) can be used by using debtags[1].
> This will probably solve the translation problem.

> Opinions ?

Originally we were going to hold off on forming any sort of policy
about menu hints until we had the system in use for a while, so we
could see what sort of hints people were going to provide.  Well, it's
been a while, so maybe we should review the hints we have as a first
step, and go on from there.

No point in translating hints that we're just going to turn around and
remove.

--
Chris Waters           |  Pneumonoultra-        osis is too long
xtifr@debian.org       |  microscopicsilico-    to fit into a single