Re: Question regarding policy (11.2)

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 12:49:01PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> > > Adding 1100 additional packages to debian
> >
> > This tendency to fuck up a discussion, despite my best efforts to talk
> > about a compromise right from the start, is very frustrating.
> >
> > % grep-available -F Package -r 'lib.*[0-9]$' -s Package -n | wc -l
> >     768
> >
> > Shall we please return to constructive discussion now, as opposed to these
> > repeated cantankerous litanies?
>
> I don't see where you're coming off with the personal abuse. If I have a
> history of participating in "unfounded", "repeated", "cantankerous
> litanies" on this list, I would at least appreciate some examples of
> threads where I have behaved in such a manner.

I don't care about names of people. The above censure and plea for
constuctivity applies equally to the whole crowd that started ranting
about entirely implausible extreme scenarios, your message was merely
the last one that incited me to write the above mail.

> I also don't see why your method of counting -dev packages is any more
> accurate then mine.. It's the high and the low estimate, and even your
> low estimate would add 600 kb to the Packages file.

And you are totally ignoring what I wrote in my initial mail!

          if its size exceeds the size of the rest of the files in the
          development package, it can be placed in a separate package called
          <package>lib*-static-dev</package>.

Please read the above text. Notice _if_ and _can_.

James said "(Unrealistic) worst case this could introduce over 1000", and
that was about the most pessimistic possible description one could do.
Notice _unrealistic_, _could_, and the approximative tone of _over 1000_.

If you insist, the lowest estimate would be that all that happens is that
the maintainers of a few libraries with huge .a files see this discussion,
and regardless of what policy says, decide to lose them completely. Packages
file would then decrease by a few bytes with the shrinking of Size fields.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.