Re: Question regarding policy (11.2)

Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> Would moving the static libraries to separate packages increase the
> number of package in Debian, certainly.  Would this be "bloat", I don't
> see it as such.  To consider this as bloat is to consider the choice of
> editors available in Debian (~100+ according to a quick apt-cache
> search) to be bloat.  They are not.  Will every user use them, no.
> However, they provide choice.

Adding 1100 additional packages to debian, and 800 mb[1] additional to be
downloaded every apt update is unambiguously bloat. It also goes rather
against the originally stated rationalle of saving on download time. And
it wouldn't provide any significant choice.

--
see shy jo

[1] joey@dragon:~>grep-available -F package -- -dev > list
    joey@dragon:~>ls -l list
    -rw-rw-r--    1 joey     joey       843948 Feb  8 19:13 list