Re: Bad version number based on date advice in policy?

[reposting to proper forum]
On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 04:51:47PM +1100, Herbert Xu wrote:

> >> What's wrong with using an epoch?
> >
> > Most people would prefer not use them if they can avoid it.
> > I suppose they are rather ugly and they need to be explained to people
> > outside of Debian.
>
> And somehow 0.YYYYMMDD is more elegant or requires less explanation?

Epochs are more inelegant because they never go away, and rather have a
tendency of needing increases, which has a tendency of getting more confusing;
the ^(0\.)+ parts, on the other hand, disappear when the program authors
migrate to 1.0 or whatever.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.