Re: Policy-problem: Split package with libraries or not?

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 11:56:31AM +0200, Thomas -Balu- Walter wrote:
>         * Flush separate lib and lib-dev packages.
>
> So is this a wrong packaged camserv or is there a way around the policy
> rule from above (which would make packaging easier, since I'd only have
> to create one .deb)?

When the maintainer doesn't think there's any reason for people to use the
library separate from the program, they can do so. The Policy verbiage may
sound rigid but if it's the right thing to do, it's the right thing to do.
Investigate the purpose of this library and you'll probably come to your
own conclusion.

As another precedent, there's xmms with libxmms inside. I've removed the
-dev stuff into xmms-dev, but not libxmms0. It has been suggested before
that the library should also go out but no packages were found that would
depend only on it and not on xmms as well, so it stayed in.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.