Re: ADMINISTRIVIA: Comments on old bug reports

On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 02:05:43PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>      * #35762: lintian could check for hardcoded --infodir in maintaner
>        scripts
>        Package: debian-policy; Severity: wishlist; Reported by: Santiago Vila
>        <sanvila@unex.es>; 4 years and 118 days old.
>
>  Hmm. Apparently, we were waiting for an transition to the FHS, and
>  /usr/share/info/. On may machines, I see that /usr/info is a symbolic
>  link to share/info; so this transition is now complete.
>
> 	However, I did not see any reference to the evils of the
>  --infodir option; and I have forgotten what the discussion on
>  debian-policy may have been. Can anyone step up and say what the
>  upside of accepting this proposal is supposed to be?

I don't see the actual Policy proposal in the bug. Lintian could check for
--infodir, sure, but I don't see how it has anything to do with Policy.

>      * #62996: no way to detect webservers without CGI support
>        Package: debian-policy; Severity: wishlist; Reported by: Rev Simon
>        Rumble <simon@rumble.net>; 2 years and 205 days old.
>
>  This is not a policy issue yet, this is a design and implementation
>  issue. Please try to get the httpd package maintainers together and
>  work out a solution; and then we can put the working solution into
>  policy.

This is similar to the cgi-lib thing... needs to get maintainers to
implement it. :|

>      * #65577: [Amended] copyright should include notice if a package is not
>        a part of Debian distribution
>        Package: debian-policy; Severity: wishlist; Reported by: Taketoshi
>        Sano <sano@debian.org>; 2 years and 156 days old.
>  Hmm. I don't know. Does it seem like we have consensus?

I guess we do, but it makes most if not all packages in contrib and non-free
buggy if accepted. We should add it as "may", send mails or wishlist bugs
for all packages that don't comply, and later upgrade it to "should".

>      * #65764: changelog shouldn't be in the copyright file
>        Package: debian-policy; Severity: wishlist; Reported by: Josip Rodin
>        <joy@cibalia.gkvk.hr>; 2 years and 153 days old.
> Hmm. Sounds like we have a winner here. How about a diff, then, folks?
>      * #69864: debian-policy: Update section 6.7 for "examples packages"
>        Package: debian-policy; Severity: wishlist; Reported by: Adam C Powell
>        IV <hazelsct@mit.edu>; 2 years and 84 days old.
> This too sounds reasonable to me, but there was no discussion at all.

You're looking at archived bugs, these two are long done...

>      * #54985: debian-policy: handling of shared libraries
>        Package: debian-policy; Severity: wishlist; Reported by: Matthew
>        Vernon <matthew@sel.cam.ac.uk>; 3 years and 203 days old.
>
> There does not seem to have been a consensus on this issue, or a
> technically superior position (in my eyes).

It doesn't seem like it attracted enough interest to even get
implemented in a few packages...

>      * #65578: [PROPOSED] extra-Debian packages should have extra Priority
>        Package: debian-policy; Severity: wishlist; Reported by: Taketoshi
>        Sano <sano@debian.org>; 2 years and 156 days old.
>  No discussion at all, and I think that it blurs the priority and
>  sections a bit.

It should be closed, nobody seems to be interested in it and I don't see why
it's necessary either. "optional" is fine.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.