ADMINISTRIVIA: Comments on old bug reports

Hi,

        I swept through old bug reports, and here is my take on the
 status of old reports. Please note that several proposals are now
 looking for seconds.

	I have also taken the liberty of setting the severity of the
 proposed changes to be more in line with the policy-process document;
 this makes it easier for policy editors to spot proposals that are in
 a state to be acted on.

	Comments welcome.

	manoj

     * #32263: [PENDING AMENDMENT 20/01/2000] Splitting cgi-bin
       Package: debian-policy; Reported by: Brian White <bcwhite@pobox.com>;
       4 years and 194 days old.

 There has been recent progress on this. We are now merely waiting on
 the basic infrastructure for this change to be implemented by the web
 servers (we have to wait, since if we don't, then packages complying
 with the new policy would suddenly have failing cgi-bin scripts)
     * #35762: lintian could check for hardcoded --infodir in maintaner
       scripts
       Package: debian-policy; Severity: wishlist; Reported by: Santiago Vila
       <sanvila@unex.es>; 4 years and 118 days old.

 Hmm. Apparently, we were waiting for an transition to the FHS, and
 /usr/share/info/. On may machines, I see that /usr/info is a symbolic
 link to share/info; so this transition is now complete.

	However, I did not see any reference to the evils of the
 --infodir option; and I have forgotten what the discussion on
 debian-policy may have been. Can anyone step up and say what the
 upside of accepting this proposal is supposed to be?

     * #47438: [PROPOSAL] update policy copyright
       Package: debian-policy; Severity: wishlist; Reported by: Lars
       Wirzenius <liw@iki.fi>; 3 years and 35 days old.
 Well, since the list of contributors to this document is long, and
 undocumented, whose names _do_ go on the copyright list?
     * #60979: What /etc/init.d/xxx restart does?
       Package: debian-policy; Severity: wishlist; Reported by: Radim Kolar
       <hsn@cybermail.net>; merged with #87994; 2 years and 238 days old.
Isn't this now being standardized by LSB?
     * #62996: no way to detect webservers without CGI support
       Package: debian-policy; Severity: wishlist; Reported by: Rev Simon
       Rumble <simon@rumble.net>; 2 years and 205 days old.

 This is not a policy issue yet, this is a design and implementation
 issue. Please try to get the httpd package maintainers together and
 work out a solution; and then we can put the working solution into
 policy.
     * #65577: [Amended] copyright should include notice if a package is not
       a part of Debian distribution
       Package: debian-policy; Severity: wishlist; Reported by: Taketoshi
       Sano <sano@debian.org>; 2 years and 156 days old.
 Hmm. I don't know. Does it seem like we have consensus?
     * #65764: changelog shouldn't be in the copyright file
       Package: debian-policy; Severity: wishlist; Reported by: Josip Rodin
       <joy@cibalia.gkvk.hr>; 2 years and 153 days old.
Hmm. Sounds like we have a winner here. How about a diff, then, folks?
     * #69864: debian-policy: Update section 6.7 for "examples packages"
       Package: debian-policy; Severity: wishlist; Reported by: Adam C Powell
       IV <hazelsct@mit.edu>; 2 years and 84 days old.
This too sounds reasonable to me, but there was no discussion at all.
     * #172436: debian-policy: [PROPOSAL] web browser url viewing
       Package: debian-policy; Reported by: Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org>;
       days old.236

	This proposal was initially seconded, but then discussion
 turned up some problems, and a modified proposal was put forth. The
 last message in the BTS asked for a new set of seconds; if interest
 is shown in the new wording, this can be fast tracked into policy,
 since discussion has already happened.

     * #202054: ${perl:Depends} documentation incomplete
       Package: debian-policy; Reported by: Matt Kraai
       <kraai@alumni.cmu.edu>; 15 days old.

 This needs to have the recommended wording for policy to make this a
 proposal. The scope of the ${perl:Depends} variable needs to be
 documented.
     * #199849: unclear recommendation for debconf w/ dpkg-statoverride
       Package: debian-policy; Severity: minor; Reported by: Eduard Bloch
       <blade@debian.org>; Tags: patch; 31 days old.

	There has been no discussion, and no seconds, for this proposal.

REJECTED

     * #33251: document standard cross-compiler paths
       Package: debian-policy; Severity: wishlist; Reported by: Santiago Vila
       <sanvila@unex.es>; 4 years and 173 days old.

 There seems to have been some confusion about what the right place
 should be, whether to document current practice, or to standardize a
 logical one, and whether the FHS says something relevant.

	I am planning on moving this to the rejected pile, since no
 consensus seems to have dawned, and it is unclear to me what is the
 right thing to do.

     * #39125: lintian: should maybe recognize /etc/init.d/*.sh ?
       Package: debian-policy; Severity: wishlist; Reported by: Yann Dirson
       <dirson@debian.org>; 4 years and 57 days old.

	No discussion on this at all. There is no rationale for _why_
 something has to be done here, just a bald statement to the
 effect. Since nothing is broken, I think it is upto the proponents to
 make a case here.
     * #54985: debian-policy: handling of shared libraries
       Package: debian-policy; Severity: wishlist; Reported by: Matthew
       Vernon <matthew@sel.cam.ac.uk>; 3 years and 203 days old.

There does not seem to have been a consensus on this issue, or a
technically superior position (in my eyes).
     * #62768: policy on kernel module sources needed (unpacked or not)
       Package: debian-policy; Severity: wishlist; Reported by: "Alan W.
       Irwin" <irwin@beluga.phys.uvic.ca>; merged with #63598, #71805;
       3 years and 104 days old.
     * #63598: policy on kernel module sources needed (unpacked or not)
       Package: debian-policy; Severity: wishlist; Reported by: Ulf
       Jaenicke-Roessler <ujr@physik.phy.tu-dresden.de>; merged with #62768,
       #71805; 3 years and 90 days old.
 Why is this a policy issue? Do we really need to mandate absolute
 conformity in modules packages? Whether you do a tar zvvfx in
 MODULES_LOC or you do lndir there, you do get the same results.
     * #65578: [PROPOSED] extra-Debian packages should have extra Priority
       Package: debian-policy; Severity: wishlist; Reported by: Taketoshi
       Sano <sano@debian.org>; 2 years and 156 days old.
 No discussion at all, and I think that it blurs the priority and
 sections a bit.

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening. Alexander
Woollcott