Re: user's home directory

On Monday 28 April 2003 03:56, Pedro Salgueiro wrote:
> Hi.
> I'm making a deb package of a project that i'm working
> on, and I need to know if a deb package can copy
> something to a directory of a user's home. I have read
> somewhere  that a debian package can not toucth on a
> user's home but I cant't fint anymore.
> I wold like you to help me with this.

packages are not supposed to touch /home.  The rationale is pretty straight
forward.

Today you install package foo.  It writes foo_rc to each dir in /home (or
perhaps it reads passwd).  Tomorrow you add a user.  He does not have foo_rc.

Also, /home may be on a network share and root may not have write permissions.
This is quite common in office and school environments.