Re: when can a package be made architecture-dependent?

 Steven> On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Bill Allombert wrote:
 >> >It would be very helpful if this position were explicitly stated in Debian
 >> >Policy, especially if people have been "fighting against this for years."
 >>
 >> Debian developer reference 5.3.1 states that
 >>
 >> 2.   Don't set architecture to a value other than ``all'' or ``any''
 >> unless you really mean it.  In too many cases, maintainers don't
 >> follow the instructions in the Debian Policy Manual
 >> (http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/).  Setting your
 >> architecture to ``i386'' is usually incorrect.

 Steven> That's good to know, except what are the instructions of the
 Steven> Debian Policy Manual on the subject?  I couldn't find any.

	I suppose they instructions are "listen to the developers
 reference"? Policy is trying to diet down to a minimalist set of
 hard rules; the developers reference is the compendium of best
 practices.

	manoj
--
Volcanoes have a grandeur that is grim And earthquakes only terrify
the dolts, And to him who's scientific There is nothing that's