Re: when can a package be made architecture-dependent?

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>  On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Bill Allombert wrote:
>  >> Debian developer reference 5.3.1 states that
>  >> 2.   Don't set architecture to a value other than ``all'' or ``any''
>  >> unless you really mean it.  In too many cases, maintainers don't
>  >> follow the instructions in the Debian Policy Manual
>  >> (http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/).  Setting your
>  >> architecture to ``i386'' is usually incorrect.
>
>  Steven> That's good to know, except what are the instructions of the
>  Steven> Debian Policy Manual on the subject?  I couldn't find any.
>
> 	I suppose they instructions are "listen to the developers
>  reference"? Policy is trying to diet down to a minimalist set of
>  hard rules; the developers reference is the compendium of best
>  practices.

Okay, slimming down policy makes sense.  In that case, though, the
developers' reference should probably eliminate this pointer to the Policy
Manual since it leads in a circle, and maybe be more explicit with what
"really mean it" means.  How about:

	2. Don't set architecture to a value other than ``all'' or ``any''
	unless the upstream package is intrinsically unportable
	(e.g. a program to disable a Pentium CPU ID).  If the package
	is theoretically portable, even if it currently fails to build on
	some architectures, it should be set to architecture any/all to
	open a path for future porters.  Setting your architecture to
	``i386'' is usually incorrect.

Steven