Re: Policy Suggestion - User Configuration Files

On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 04:30:48AM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:

> This is outside FHS-domain.

I'm confused by this.  How, is a file system policy outside the FHS?

> But I think that a so big change from standard UNIX practice would be
> so stupid that if accepted I would probably leave debian.

And, what if it was part of the FHS?

> Recent programs do not have user-editable configuration files anyway.

Since when?  Most end user applications tend to have a system wide
configuration and local user configuration the latter overriding the
former in most cases.

Additionally, if the application doesn't have user editable
configuration files, how does the end user configure it?  Surely all
users aren't expected to have root privileges, are they?

--
Jamin W. Collins