Re: Policy Suggestion - User Configuration Files

On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 07:21:11PM -0600, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> A while back, on one of my other lists, there was a discussion about
> user configuration files for the program and where to put them.  That
> led to how frustrated many users were with the dot files just littering
> their home directory.  One suggestion that came out of it that I liked
> was to put all the user configuration files under a sub directory such
> as ~/.etc.  This way the user's home directory is left uncluttered and
> the structure more or less reflects that of the system-wide
> configuration files.
>
> So, what do you folks think?  Would it be worth while to have a Debian
> policy regarding the placement of user configuration files in a
> configuration sub directory of the user's home dir?

I like the idea.  I vote for ~/etc, though, not ~/.etc; there's little
point hiding this one directory name if it is going to contain all of
the configuration data.  Of course there is a lot of software out
there which doesn't use it (yet), and it may well confuse users.

Maybe ask on the FHS list for comments, too?

   Julian

        Julian Gilbey, website: http://www.polya.uklinux.net/
   Debian GNU/Linux Developer, see: http://people.debian.org/~jdg/
     Visit http://www.thehungersite.com/ to help feed the hungry