Re: Debian-Perl-Policy and .packlist?

Oh dammit, do we really have to enter these dark lands...

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 09:49:17PM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> > Josip Rodin suggested on debian-policy that I should file a bug report
> > against the package that contains ExtUtils::Installed (perl-modules),
> > but I think that's stretching it a bit.  The bug's in the policy, not in
> > the module which works perfectly well on, ...  well, on how many platforms
> > does perl run?
>
> And since when that matters?  It is a bug against a DEBIAN package, for not
> doing things 100%-correctly-and-in-the-best-possible-way for DEBIAN.
>
> Don't get upstream bugs and issues mixed up with Debian ones.  They are
> different sets (although not disjoint).
>
> --
>   "One disk to rule them all, One disk to find them. One disk to bring
>   them all and in the darkness grind them. In the Land of Redmond
>   where the shadows lie." -- The Silicon Valley Tarot
>   Henrique Holschuh

Don't you find the combination between what you say above and what's in
your sig a bit weird sitting there side by side?

One of the reasons I switched to Debian was, that RedHat felt less and
less like Unix, and more and more like, hmmm, RedHat.  The reason I
always ignored SuSE was, that they broke stuff by going their own way
and ignoring how other systems did basic things.

And that's also the Redmond strategy.  Fetch any standard, and then
pervert it *just* a bit, so it makes switching a pain.

On Debian I feel pretty safe that no weird unexpected methods of doing
stuff are introduced.

Which brings me back to my point:  Why alter the *expected* behaviour of
a well known software suite.

I'm not questioning that the package breaks Debian policy.  What I *AM*
questioning is Debian's decision to define such a rule in the first
place.  That policy has been made in ignorance of - or without knowing -
why the .packlist file is there.  That decision is IMO wrong.  So I'm
asking if the policy can be fixed.

What you're saying is basically:  "I don't care that they're doing that
for years, I enforce my way.  My policy breaks their stuff?  Ok, they
let's break that other package too, because my policy is correct by my
own definition."

Now look again at your signature...

Mike

--
	    Well, then let's give that Java-Wussie a beating... (me)

Michael Lamertz                        |     +49 2234 204947 / +49 171 6900 310
Sandstr. 122                           |                       mike@lamertz.net
50226 Frechen                          |                 http://www.lamertz.net
Germany                                |               http://www.perl-ronin.de