Re: [devel-ref] author/homepage in description

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 10:57:48PM +0100, Luca - De Whiskey's - De Vitis wrote:
> > Yes, but that means extraction of possibly huge data.tar.gz, versus
> > extracting a much tinier control.tar.gz.
>
> I can't tell it for sure, but a c program that only extracting such a file
> should not be so slow, or at least not slower than tar it self.

Yes, but tar itself is slow for this, am I not making myself clear here?

Example 1: open a 80 MB deb, skip over a control.tar.gz, extract a 50 MB
data.tar.gz, skip over a couple of thousand files (49 MB total size),
extract usr/share/doc/foo/copyright, and then read and parse it.

Example 2: open a 80 MB deb, extract control.tar.gz, read and parse control
file.

Isn't the latter saner?

> URIs are not descriptive for the binary package management, so it's my
> _opinion_ (!standards) that there should not be one specific field into
> the package control file. Of course, i would not remove the extended
> description.

That doesn't follow. The extended description is as descriptive for the
binary package management (whatever you mean by that) as the home page URL
is.

> If we want to include homepage or snapshot into the package control files, we
> may use `home made' protocols in Description: field like:
>
> <homepage://some.site.org/some/index.html>
> <snapshot://some.site.org/some/snapshot.png>
> <bugs://some.site.org/some/bug/report/system/>
>
> Or whatever.
>
> These may easily be parsed and used on packages.debian.org.
> What about this?

Like Colin said, those aren't quite protocols... I still think that a simple
additional field is the simplest solution.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.