Re: [devel-ref] author/homepage in description

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 06:04:26PM +0100, Luca - De Whiskey's - De Vitis wrote:
> > > Policy already mandate upstream site in copyright, and it work:
> > > try
> > > grep '\(f\|ht\)tp://' /usr/share/doc/*/copyright
> > >
> > > 2) Add link to copyright files in packages.debian.org. I think it is
> > > already worked on.
> >
> > This requires expanding source packages. Doing this for the mere purpose of
> > getting the URIs is downright stupid.
>
> It could be useful to read the copyright too, and copyright file can be
> extracted from the binary packages. Give the copiright file 4 trivial tags, and
> I'll be hapy to play with them for you.
> Packaged: <date>
>  <packagers>
> Upstream-Authors: <author>
>  <longer_list>
> Upstream-URI: <URI>
> Copyright: <sinopsys>
>  <license>
>
> Easy to check, change, extract from binary packages... why not?

If you define "easy" as within reach of "dpkg-deb -x"... I don't.
"dpkg-deb -I" is easy.

Also, it would mean chaging from <non-regulated copyright files> to
<regulated copyright files, with URIs>; as opposed to the change from
<current set of metadata fields> to <current set of metadata fields
plus a field for URIs>. The latter is much less intrusive.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.