Re: Preanouncement: Mail-subsystem policy change proposal

In article <[🔎] 1032379029.5990.170.camel@toa>,
 <Jorge.Lehner@gmx.net> wrote:
>> 2. "defaultdelivery" is to generic. Delivery of what?
>>
>> How about /etc/default/mailbox
>
>>    # Format (Maildir, MH, mbox, mbx)
>>    INBOX_FORMAT=Maildir
>
>Ok.
>
>What is mbx?

It's an indexed mbox, used by wu-imapd. Exim has support for it,
and several MUAs have support for it as well. I've never really
used it though.

>> .. and perhaps also:
>>
>>    # Folders in which format?
>>    FOLDER_FORMAT=Maildir
>>
>>    # Folders where ?
>>    FOLDER_PATH=~/Mail
>>
>> .. if you don't want to mess around with the FOLDER stuff (which
>> is not just a MUA thing, but which some imapds can probably use
>
>This looks nice to me: INBOX_NAME, OUTBOX_NAME, DRAFT_NAME, SENT_NAME could
>help resolve the naming confusion of the standard MUA's for their administrivia
>folders.

Perhaps MTA and MUA config should be seperate. It would surely be
less confusing. The MTA has nothing to do with 'draft', 'sent' etc.
That is a MUA issue.

Maybe /etc/default/inbox for the MTA, and /etc/default/mailbox
for the MUA ?

>When speaking about Maildir's, it is common to use a trailing slash. Do I
>understand right that you wanted to write /var/mail/username/ ?
>Same for INBOX_PATH=~/Maildir/ ?

Probably, that is usually done to differentiate between mbox and
maildir, but if you already have INBOX_FORMAT it doesn't really
make a difference. I don't really care.

Mike.