Re: Preanouncement: Mail-subsystem policy change proposal

Hello!

El mié, 18-09-2002 a las 05:57, Miquel van Smoorenburg escribió:
> In article <[🔎] 1032322250.1313.203.camel@toa>,
>  <Jorge.Lehner@gmx.net> wrote:
> >	http://www.magma.com.ni/~jorge/proposal/delivery.html

Fixes proposed by Peter Palfrader, some cleanup and Miquel's comments have been
worked into the proposal. Thanks for the inputs.

> 1. Files in /etc/default use KEY=VALUE format, so keep it that way

Ok.  It was intended to be as simple as possible, while allowing extensions,
but I think your point is better.

> 2. "defaultdelivery" is to generic. Delivery of what?
>
> How about /etc/default/mailbox

Ok.

>    # Format (Maildir, MH, mbox, mbx)
>    INBOX_FORMAT=Maildir

Ok.

What is mbx?

>    # Where to deliver
>    INBOX_PATH=~/Maildir

I'm not sure about this. On one hand, it could be supposed that each delivery
method has its standard mailbox location which is/should be respected by all
programs using them, on the other hand you give us a means to generically
specify a non standard location for the mailbox, hence more flexibility.

It seems to me, that the definition of the individual mailbox is responsability
of the session setup program, login/gdm, but ...

> .. and perhaps also:
>
>    # Folders in which format?
>    FOLDER_FORMAT=Maildir
>
>    # Folders where ?
>    FOLDER_PATH=~/Mail
>
> .. if you don't want to mess around with the FOLDER stuff (which
> is not just a MUA thing, but which some imapds can probably use

This looks nice to me: INBOX_NAME, OUTBOX_NAME, DRAFT_NAME, SENT_NAME could
help resolve the naming confusion of the standard MUA's for their administrivia
folders.

> This way you can set things up so that for example Maildir delivery
> is done in /var/mail/username, like I have it running here.

When speaking about Maildir's, it is common to use a trailing slash. Do I
understand right that you wanted to write /var/mail/username/ ?

Same for INBOX_PATH=~/Maildir/ ?

Best Regards,

	Jorge-León