Re: build-arch and autobuilders ?

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 04:06:17PM +0100, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 04:45:44PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> >
> > autobuilders might well just call "debian/rules binary-arch" and
> > everything should work. What autobuilders actually do, I don't know.
>
> Note that binary* require root (or fakeroot) to build the .deb,
> whereas build* doesn't require root privileges.  So the aim is to
> build without fakeroot and then call the binary* targets under
> fakeroot.

Yes.  Those recently attempting to build X may have seen that running
"build" under fakeroot results in failure, because it modifies the build
environment in a way maybe not foreseen (which may be a bug but that's
another story).

--
Yann Dirson    <ydirson@altern.org> |    Why make M$-Bill richer & richer ?
Debian-related: <dirson@debian.org> |   Support Debian GNU/Linux: