build-arch and autobuilders ?

I couldn't find in policy 3.5.7.0 any requirement that would allow an
autobuilder to know it should call "debian/rules build-arch" instead
of "debian/rules build", prior to call "fakeroot debian/rules binary-arch".

I thought (as outlined in a related bugreport, although my words in
this report were a bit confused) that the policy should have made the
binary-arch target mandatory, so that the atobuilders could know from
the declared standard-version whether the target was expected or not.

Currently it seems the autobuilders will have either to parse the
rules file, or to attempt to use build-arch and parse the output if
that failed - none of these alternatives seem reasonable to me.

Or did I miss something ?

[please CC me on followup]

--
Yann Dirson    <ydirson@altern.org> |    Why make M$-Bill richer & richer ?