Re: build-arch and autobuilders ?

Yann Dirson wrote:
> I couldn't find in policy 3.5.7.0 any requirement that would allow an
> autobuilder to know it should call "debian/rules build-arch" instead
> of "debian/rules build", prior to call "fakeroot debian/rules binary-arch".
>
> I thought (as outlined in a related bugreport, although my words in
> this report were a bit confused) that the policy should have made the
> binary-arch target mandatory, so that the atobuilders could know from
> the declared standard-version whether the target was expected or not.
>
> Currently it seems the autobuilders will have either to parse the
> rules file, or to attempt to use build-arch and parse the output if
> that failed - none of these alternatives seem reasonable to me.
>
> Or did I miss something ?

The way I read this paragraph in policy:

          Both binary-* targets should depend on the build target, or on
          the appropriate build-arch or build-indep target, if provided,
          so that the package is built if it has not been already.

autobuilders might well just call "debian/rules binary-arch" and
everything should work. What autobuilders actually do, I don't know.