Re: [RFC] *-rc.d -> rc.d-* transition

On Sun, 08 Sep 2002, Chris Waters wrote:
> First, I'd like to say that I'm fairly neutral in this debate.  None

So am I, actually. I am proposing it because I said at debconf2 that I
would, after the people there got convinced it would be a good thing by
whomever proposed it.

> > 1. Since we'll be adding more programs to update-rc.d, we should have fixed
> >    that in the first place (I replied "too late" to the guy when I heard
> >    this argument :-) )
>
> That's not an an argument, since it's based on the _conclusion_ that
> we should change the name.  Indeed, IF we decide to change the name,

The argument that "invoke-rc.d" is "stupid", why not "rc.d-invoke" was made
before the person knew it was already deployed...

> we should probably try to do it sooner rather than later for this
> reason, but that begs the question: should we try to change the name?

Ideed.  Should we?  I am certainly not touching invoke-rc.d and policy-rc.d
if update-rc.d is not going to change.

> > 3. Clean namespace and proper grouping of related utilities. rc.d-{update,
> >    invoke, policy}, especially when the upcoming (when they're ready)
> >    init.d-* scripts (for parallel execution and dependency processing in
> >    init scripts) are taken into account.
>
> I don't understand why "rc.d-*" is any "cleaner" of a namespace than
> "*-rc.d".  I think this argument is mere noise.

Something about it making the group obvious, I think.  There was also
something about verb-noun and noun-verb groupings and common usage, but I
don't recall that one well :-(

> but then i haven't seen any strong reasons to make the change.

Nor did I.  And I still am not really hot on it, either, as you can see.

> The first reason for not making the change is that it is currently
> consistent with other, similar update-<foo> utilities.  Changing it

Now, that is a good reason not to change it.  Unfortunately, the fact that
now we have a bunch of *-rc.d and will have a bunch of init.d-* utilities
could be used to make the same argument.

> Against these weak reasons we have, what?  The idea that a ".d" suffix
> should indicate a directory?  Well, most directories do NOT have a

That one is pretty weak alright :-)

  Henrique Holschuh