Re: RFD: Essential packages, /, and /usr

>>"Clint" == Clint Adams <schizo@debian.org> writes:

 Clint>> It makes 'set -e' unusable in #!/bin/sh scripts.
 Manoj>> Umm, could you explain why this is so?

 Clint> I think it is reasonable to assume that "POSIX features" and "non-POSIX
 Clint> features" translate to those which are and are not mandated by the
 Clint> current POSIX standard.

ISO/IEC 9945-2:1993(e)
IEEE STD 1003.2-1992        Part 2: Shell and utilities

3.14.11 set - Set/unset options and positional parameters  (pp 156-157,
                                                            lines 1580-1716)

	Look for the -e option for the set utility.

 Clint>      Thus, shell scripts specifying `/bin/sh' as interpreter
 Clint>      should only use POSIX features.  If a script requires
 Clint>      non-POSIX features from the shell interpreter, the
 Clint>      appropriate shell must be specified in the first line of
 Clint>      the script (e.g., `#!/bin/bash') and the package must
 Clint>      depend on the package providing the shell (unless the
 Clint>      shell package is marked `Essential', as in the case of
 Clint>      `bash').

 Clint> Now, if I am wrong, and "POSIX features" means "those features Manoj
 Clint> will claim are common sense", then the meaning changes slightly.

	Are you now claiming that POSIX does not have a set -e in the
 command set of the shell?  Have you any idea what the standard is?
 Before claiming that I am making up what POSIX is, and embarrassing
 yourself before the known world, did you even care to see what the
 standard had to say about set -e?

 Clint> I fail to see the value in claiming that POSIX-compliance is important,
 Clint> yet declaring an exception (echo -n) with no technical merit, yet
 Clint> opposing further exceptions.

	Historical reasons.

	manoj
--
 NEW YORK-- Kraft Foods, Inc. announced today that its board of
 directors unanimously rejected the $11 billion takeover bid by Philip