Re: RFD: Essential packages, /, and /usr

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:

> > If they're not in /usr, they're off-limits.
>
> As are the POSIX utilities for determining whether or not they're in
> /usr.

What POSIX utilities do you mean? (I don't have that standard handy.)

SUSv[23] provide "command -v" as the standard way. Debian's ash and
bash have this as a builtin, zsh (e.g) does not, and we neither have
it in /bin nor /usr/bin.

> > Further, /bin/bash is available and provides both type and test as
> > builtins.
>
> Bad news for any Debian port that wants to use ash as its Essential
> shell, then.

$ ash -c "type test"
test is a shell builtin

ash and bash are AFAIK the only shells in /bin.

> However, in the course of researching the problem I encountered our
> current handling of the disction between executables in /usr and /,
> which appears to be driven wholly by personal fiat and/or accident.  I
> think the availablity of minimal^Wessential^Wwhatever system
> functionality is too important to be left to fiat, and that we should
> document the undocumented assumptions and reasoning that have led us to
> the status quo, so that we can collectively make better decisions in the
> future.

What guidelines, in addition to FHS 3.1, are you actually proposing?

--
Robbe