Re: Policy ambiguity regarding control files

At (time_t)1021649088 Junichi Uekawa wrote:

> In my reading of policy, policy doesn't currently allow it.
> Either those packages need to be fixed, or
> policy. I don't think 2% of packages not following policy
> should be enough to change policy, considering the usefulness
> of simple tools like grep and sed.

Interestingly enough, it's not immeidately clear that multi-line
description fields are permissable in the policy. Obviously, that
is the intent, and it is implied by 5.7.1, but not "stated".

3.1: Except where otherwise stated only a single line of data is
     allowed

But back to the build-depends issue, I agree that there is little
(nothing?) to be gained by allowing multi-line fields, and much
to be gained by disallowing it.

Here is the list of packages in the May 11 Sources.gz file for
woody which have multi-line build-depends fields. I can't
guarantee the completeness of the list, and it's always possible
I have misidentified some of the below, but I feel pretty
confident about it.

blinkd
c2hs
clanbomber