Re: Java Policy.

>>>>> "Egon" == Egon Willighagen <egonw@sci.kun.nl> writes:

Egon> And the same for gcj? Is there an easy way to port a Ant based
Egon> compilation to some Makefile like stuff for compiling with gcj?
Egon> Is there a good tutorial on it somewhere?

In theory you should be able to use `gij' as a drop-in replacement for
`java', and `gcj -C' as a replacement for `javac'.  Whether this
actually works depends on the class libraries used, whether you happen
to hit bug, etc.

I don't know if there is a gcj tutorial.  There are online docs and
the like here:

    http://gcc.gnu.org/java/

The bytecode interpreter in libgcj hasn't been ported to every
platform yet.  Currently we support x86, IA-64, alpha, and PPC.  I
think someone is working on the sparc port.  (Doing the interpreter
port requires some expert-level assembly programming.)

We're definitely interested in having people test gcj against their
Java programs, especially free software programs.  We're also
interested in having useful Java programs come precompiled.  You can
see some work on that here:

    http://sources.redhat.com/rhug/

Anthony Green spearheaded this project.  The idea is to import free
Java programs and set them up to be compiled with gcj.  Anthony has
done some work on RPM-izing these programs; doing the same for Debian
would be cool.

Tom