Re: Java Policy.

On Sunday 12 May 2002 17:11, Nic Ferrier wrote:
> Ola Lundqvist <opal@debian.org> writes:
>   If your binary package can run only with non-free virtual machines
>   (the only free Java virtual machine seems to be kaffe - and the one
>   included in libgcj), it cannot go to main. If your package itself is
>   free, it must go to contrib.
>
> There are many other free JVMs now: ORP, KissMe, etc...

I am not very happy with trying to compile some Java code (e.g. Jmol
jmol.sf.net) with every free JVM to see wether it can be done with that...
Thus confirming that Jmol only runs with non-free VMs is a bit hard to
tell... Ofcourse, the statement should say that the software does only
support to work with non-free VMs, or along that line... (Is it worthwhile to
change the text accordingly?)

Something like:

Only if your binary package can run with free virtual machines (like kaffe,
libgcj, ORP and KissMe), it may go into main. Otherwise, it must go into
non-free, or in contrib if your package itself is free.

Does this sound ok?

Anyway, about kaffe... it has been a very long time since I gave it a try...
Is it hard to port code from Sun's/Blackdown's JVM to kaffe? Do I need to
recompile or can kaffe run classes?

And the same for gcj? Is there an easy way to port a Ant based compilation
to some Makefile like stuff for compiling with gcj? Is there a good tutorial
on it somewhere?

Egon