Re: init.d scripts and LSB

On May 07, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> The LSB is necessary to avoid diversity among GNU/Linux distributions.
> There is only one GNU system, as such no diversity, and all of what the LSB
> specifies as far as I have seen it (I have not made a thorough analysis) is
> simply defined by the one implementation of the GNU system.

No, the purpose of the LSB is to provide a standard ABI and API for
applications to link and program against, whether or not the
underlying system has the Linux kernel or not.

For example, one could take LSB binary packages of GNOME, KDE,
Mozilla, or OpenOffice and run them on any LSB-compliant system
without any changes.

If the Hurd includes a Linux emulation layer, which I believe has been
the intention of the GNU project since the Linux kernel became
reasonably popular, then it is reasonable to provide the LSB
functionality so LSB packages can run on top of it.  (Matter of fact,
the Hurd's vaunted capabilities of creating process-specific views of
the filesystem would make this easier to do than running on top of
many other systems; if it links against /lib/ld-lsb.so.1, run it in
the LSB environment.)

Similarly, if the *BSD ports progress, and there is a Linux emulation
layer available, there is no reason why LSB compatibility cannot be
achieved.

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <chris@lordsutch.com> - http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/