Re: New sub menu for Games/

Hi,

On Monday, 15. April 2002 22:42, Chris Waters wrote:
> I don't quite understand.  We already have several game clients, which
> are not, strictly speaking, games themselves.  For example, the
> freeciv and mud clients.  How are these new "tools" different from
> those?  In particular, the mud clients, which aren't tied to any
> particular game.

Well, the Freeciv clients provide a functionality to look up running games
and those which are open to new players, and let the player join such a game
then in order to play it.

In our case, not only Freeciv can be played (needs a patch right now, chances
are good that it'll be in the main source tree) but several other games too,
and they're not tied to any category.
There's Chess, Connect the Dots, several card games, but also action and
strategy games. This makes it impossible to put our clients into one of the
existing (game-type based) categories.
Players will use it to find peers for online tournaments, for example, or
(later on) to view their ranking in the world-wide (technically, server-wide)
highscore tables.

MUD clients like SClient or Gnome-Mud can be found under "Adventure", which
doesn't really fit a nifty Reversi game, or most of the others.

For the "native" menus in KDE (and Gnome, once done) the entries are in
Games/GGZ, but I see that Debian menus are not project-related, so a generic
name would be what we'd like to have.

Josef

--
The MindX Open Source Project: Fighting proprietary games
GGZ now! - The GGZ Gaming Zone: http://ggz.sourceforge.net