Policy needed for naming backup files

It is annoying that every program has its own scheme for
naming backup files.  This becomes a problem when we want
to use utilities such as run-parts and update-modules
which need to ignore backup files in given directories:
each one has to know that it should ignore .* files,
~* files, #*# files, .dpkg-* files, etc.  There is currently
no consistency in what is ignored.  Run-parts demands that
filenames have only "letters, digits, underscores, and hyphens"
while update-modules ignores only .dpkg-* and *~.  (It also
ignores .* but this is not mentioned on the man page.)

I wonder if Debian should adopt some policy about this.

One idea is to require that backup files follow a certain
specified format, e.g.,   foo.bar  ->   .foo.bar~

Another idea is to have update-modules, apmd_proxy, devfsd
and other programs that use all files in a directory impose
the strict requirements of run-parts: that the file contain
only letters, digits, underscores, and hyphens.  That
automatically excludes all the backup files that I can think
of.  On my system there is only one file that violates those
requirements, namely, /etc/modutiles/ipx.aliases
from the ipx package.

--
Thomas Hood