Re: Summary of KDE filesystem discussion

> > "/usr/kde2/qtcups/<etc|bin|doc> with /usr/bin/qtcups ->
> > /usr/kde/qtcups/bin/qtcups" -model. You could the packages nicely inside as
> > many subdirectries as you like; perhaps using lsm cathegories or Debian's
> > menu policy for desktop systems?
>
> I think a much better way to do this is to allow your graphical browser to
> parse the dpkg list of installed files, and show a fake hierarchy based on that.
> I seem to remember that someone did this for Nautilus already, but I'm not sure.

That's a very nice idea, indeed.. I wonder if there is such an io_slave
for KDE already, too?

On the other hand, if there were a simpler way of doing it without forcing
people to use package managers AND without breaking existing things, that
would be the best. Freedom of choise; even in whether or not you want
to use package a manager. I'm not claiming that my hierarchy suggestion
is the best way to do it - more opinions on that?

- Jarno