Re: Summary of KDE filesystem discussion

> >  * Many people feel that KDE (and Gnome) is too large
> >    a whole to be stuffed in /usr/bin, /usr/share etc
> >    and would deserve a separate directory like X
>
> Is there some sort of maximum size for /usr/bin I don't know of?

I guess the limit is just practical, not really dictated by filesystems or
such. I mean, you already have to "grep" /usr/bin and the real trouble starts
if you favor graphical file browsers over the command prompt (which is
finally really possible in Unix!!).

I personally agree with you that it is certainly nice to have one
place for executables so that you don't have to have massively long $PATHs.

To overcome the graphical browser issue in administration etc. in the future,
however, I was requesting comments on the "/usr/kde2/qtcups/<etc|bin|doc>
with /usr/bin/qtcups -> /usr/kde/qtcups/bin/qtcups" -model. You could the
packages nicely inside as many subdirectries as you like; perhaps using lsm
cathegories or Debian's menu policy for desktop systems?

> I hate it when thing get "intergrated" with other
> things, thereby creating huge dependencies.

That's a very good point. If the advantages of integration could be obtained
in some other ways, they should definately be used first.

> Program's should instead follow the standards and policy's.

True, but standards and policies should also follow the need.

- Jarno

(hmm. Do I smeall some unintentional irony in the following brand new tagline
of mine?-)

--
Learn Finnish! "Epäjärjestelmällistyttämättömyydellisyydellänsäkäänköhän?" =
"Not even with his or her own ability or property of not making other people