Re: Summary of KDE filesystem discussion

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 11:19:25PM +0200, Jarno Elonen wrote:
>  * Many people feel that KDE (and Gnome) is too large
>    a whole to be stuffed in /usr/bin, /usr/share etc
>    and would deserve a separate directory like X

Is there some sort of maximum size for /usr/bin I don't know of?

I think it's very wrong to modify policy for certain big programs.

I also thing it's very wrong to mistake a lot of small programs for
one big program.  I hate it when thing get "intergrated" with other
things, thereby creating huge dependencies.  Program's should
instead follow the standards and policy's.

Gnome and kde both consist of small programs which can be separately
installed.  So if I don't run kde, and I want konqueror as my
browser, I'd like konqueror in /usr/bin.

>  * The debate got quite emotional (which seemingly often
>    happens when discussing the policy?-)

Some folks want to get rid of all .../bin directories and only have
a single /bin.

What are the advantages of a separate directory for kde/gnome?