Re: Software Licenced Under a Specific Version of GPL

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 11:44:38AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >>"Ari" == Ari Makela <hauva@iki.fi> writes:
>
>  Ari> The file now includes GPL version 2 but probably not in future Debian
>  Ari> releases. And what if my package is installed in such a future
>  Ari> release? It'll have a wrong licence.
>
> 	Flawed assumption.  I think you do Debian and the policy group
>  a disservice by claiming that we shall, in the future, have such
>  little regard for copyrights and installed bases.

Actually, I think the whole discussion has been a bit off point.
As I read the original email, the developer wanted to release the
package under GPL with the 'or later version' clause removed.

This is no longer a verbatim copy of the GPL.  In such a case,
should the packager include the entire _modified_ GPL,
or include the original GPL with a rider clause in COPYRIGHT?

Or, should the "GPL with 'or later version' removed" be included in
common licenses?  After all, as I recall, the kernel itself is now
distributed with such a license!

Jim Penny