Re: Software Licenced Under a Specific Version of GPL

Manoj Srivastava writes:

 >  a disservice by claiming that we shall,

I feel "disservice" is rather strongly said. Well, maybe I'm a little
touchy here.

 >  little regard for copyrights and installed bases.

One of the many reasons I've been using Debian since version 1.2 is
that Debian does respect copyrights.

 > 	Violating policy by including the full contents of the common
 >  license on the assumption that future developers are going to screw
 >  up is not a good idea.

I asked because *I* didn't want to screw up my package. I've thought
for years that Debian is in many ways the nicest OS for i386 (and of
course for some other platforms) and when I've made packages I've
tried to keep up the quality that Debian has. That's why I ask when I
feel unsure what to do.

I got some good advice and I'm going to follow it. I'm going to write
a new file which says that /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL should have
GPL version 2 and if it doesn't doesn't the user can get it from
foo. If someone thinks this is a bad idea I'm open to other ideas.

--
#!/usr/bin/perl -w --                           Ari Makela <hauva@iki.fi> #
#                                                 http://arska.org/hauva/ #

# "Sailing is, after all, a kind of grace, a kind of magic." - Phil Berman