Re: Software Licenced Under a Specific Version of GPL

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Ari Makela wrote:

> The file now includes GPL version 2 but probably not in future Debian
> releases. And what if my package is installed in such a future
> release? It'll have a wrong licence.

If GPL version 2 is ever removed from common-licenses, packages which
refer to it should be either relicensed to version (say) "3.0 or later"
or repackaged so that they include the complete text of GPL version 2
in their copyright file.

This is already the case for packages under GPL version 1, so I would
not worry too much about this. If/when such thing happened, it will
be widely announced.