Re: Software Licenced Under a Specific Version of GPL

On 30-Aug-01, 03:12 (CDT), Ari Makela <hauva@iki.fi> wrote:
> I don't like the idea of licencing my software under a licence I
> cannot know because it doesn't even exist so I tend to use GPL version
> 2.
>
> So should I just ignore the error message or should there be file
> /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2?

Put in your packages copyright file something like:

This package is covered by the GPL v2. That file should be available
as /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. If that file not there, or is not
version 2 of the GPL, please write <myemail@whereever.com> for a copy of
the correct license.

(Or put a web address, or refer to the FSF website, or somesuch.)
Hopefully, when Debian starts including GPL v3, we'll name
/u/s/c-l/GPL3, and leave GPL v2 where it is.

Steve