Re: Policy rewrite: chaps 7-10

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 01:40:47PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Julian Gilbey wrote:
> > But what does it mean for a "suggests to take effect"?
>
> (Pre-)Depends, Conflicts and Replaces are the only ones that dpkg
> cares about, the others are for frontends like dselect. A Suggests
> can't really take affect.

So this paragraph should only talk about these.

> > > Remove postrm from there, that can't rely on the Depends being present.
> >
> > So we should say that somewhere; it's probably important:
> >   The postrm must not depend on any non-essential package.
>
> non-essential is wrong wording, it can't rely on packages one Depends
> on to be present (same Pre-Depends) while it is called for "purge".
> It can rely on them being present during a "remove".

OK.

> Differences in interpretation, consider that the packaging manual was
> never written to be a policy document. `will' here was meant to indicate
> that dpkg will always do that, not that it will do that at some point
> in the future.

Ah!  Then very unfortunate wording here.  The following should make
things clearer:

    `dpkg' discards files which would overwrite those ...

> > Agreed, so we should say something about this, perhaps only in a
> > footnote.
>
> I would rather that we remove the mention of ld.so and just say
> `dynamic linker'. That is accurate and flexible. The specific filename
> for the dynamic linker is an implementation detail.

Agreed.  I presume that ldconfig exists on all systems, though.

> > > Either might happen.
> >
> > What do you mean?  Maybe I wasn't clear.  The text suggests that
> > directories in /usr/local must not be in the .deb, but must be created
> > in the postinst and removed in the prerm; I asked why the prerm and
> > not the postrm.  Actually, there is a reason: the postrm may not be
> > called if there's an error-unwind situation.
> >
> > Which is better to do: prerm, postrm or leave it up to the maintainer?
>
> prerm so we can handle error-recovery quicker.

Please explain; I don't know what you mean here.

> > > 10.3.1: needs to be rewritten for LSB complience which defines
> > > specific runlevels.
> >
> > OK, if you can give some pointers or details, that would be good.
>
> I would need to check, basically the LSB defines runlevels:
> * single users
> * multi user with network
> * multi user with network and X
> etc.
>
> I don't remember the specifics from memory, but you should be able
> to find those in the LSB documents (see http://www.linux-base.org/).

Are we going to follow the LSB for runlevels?  Is there anything else
we should be following it for?  This should definitely be a separate
proposal.

> > > Daemon or non-daemon is a really bad measure.
> >
> > Fine.  Do you have any ideas of what the measure should be?  I don't.
> > I just know we need one.
>
> I don't think we need a measure. I want to be able to force-reload
> my network config for example, to flush out bad firewall and routing
> entries.

But it makes no sense to force-reload or stop or restart checkfs.sh.

> If we really need to have some distiction I would use /etc/rcS.d versus
> /etc/rc[2-6].d scripts.

What about /etc/rcS.d/S40networking?  Or /etc/rc[2-5].d/S99rmnologin?
These two cases show that it's pretty close, but not quite all the way
there.

> > > I don't think force-relead must be supported, restart already does
> > > the same thing. The other three should be a must though.
> >
> > OK.
>
> I gave this some more thought and decided that force-reload does make
> sense: reloading is a very different thing from restarting, but if a
> service doesn't support it we don't want to try a restart after a reload
> failed. For this reason a force-reload is useful.

But should force-reload be a "must"?

   Julian

         Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, Queen Mary, Univ. of London
       Debian GNU/Linux Developer,  see http://people.debian.org/~jdg
  Donate free food to the world's hungry: see http://www.thehungersite.com/