Re: Policy rewrite: chaps 7-10

Previously Julian Gilbey wrote:
> 7.2 Binary dependencies
>     This section states that "All but Pre-Depends and Conflicts take
>     effect only when a package is to be configured."  But actually,
>     dpkg appears to ignore everything except for (Pre-)Depends,
>     (sometimes) Recommends and Conflicts.  So what should this say?

It should say what it currently says.

> 7.2 Depends: should also mention "or if it is required by the
>     postinst, prerm or postrm scripts".

Remove postrm from there, that can't rely on the Depends being present.

> 7.5 States:
>       Virtual packages (Section 7.4, `Virtual packages - `Provides'') are
>       not considered when looking at a `Replaces' field - the packages
>       declared as being replaced must be mentioned by their real names.
>     But does it in a Provides/Conflicts/Replaces scenario, as
>     described in 7.5.2?

P/C/R is really a special case.

> 7.5.1 States:
>       In the future `dpkg' will discard files which would overwrite those
>       from an already installed package which declares that it replaces the
>       package being installed.  This is so that you can install an older
>       version of a package without problems.
>     Has this now happened?

What do you mean? This has always been true.

> Chapter 9
>     Should mention that ld.so might actually be ld-linux.so or
>     something else instead.

It could be anything basically, especially if you start thinking about
Debian GNU/HURD or BSD versions.

> 9.2.2 Should say what dpkg-shlibdeps actually does if we're going to
>     say anything at all.

The footnote should be zapped and the merged into the real text. What
it says won't be entirely correct either once I replace dpkg-shlibdeps
with the python versions.

> 9.2.* Do we need /etc/dpkg/shlibs.default any longer?

Yes.

> 10.1.2: Surely directories should be removed by postrm, not prerm?
>      (Prerm may not always be called, eg if a package disappears.)

Either might happen.

10.3.1: needs to be rewritten for LSB complience which defines
specific runlevels.

> 10.3.2: Hard question:
>     Not all of start, stop, restart etc. are relevant for everything
>     in /etc/init.d, for example checkfs.sh.  We should figure out a
>     way of distinguishing between daemons (which should accept all of
>     these) and specific startup/shutdown scripts (which needn't).

Daemon or non-daemon is a really bad measure.

> 10.3.2: Should "The start, stop, restart and force-reload options
>      should be supported" be replaced by "must be supported",
>      contingent on the above suggestion?

I don't think force-relead must be supported, restart already does
the same thing. The other three should be a must though.

Wichert.

 / Generally uninteresting signature - ignore at your convenience  \
| wichert@cistron.nl                  http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |