Re: native pkg versioning (was Re: Question about native packages)

    Manoj> 	Say, I have a native package foo. Now, foo is small,
    Manoj> and for the most cases the changes I upload reflect changes
    Manoj> in the source; and in the case there is only a packaging
    Manoj> change, well, the debian diff is the same order as the
    Manoj> whole package, so it does not make any sense to create a
    Manoj> separate debian revision.

In case you want a diff file, then just treat the whole package as
a normal non-native package. No problem.

    Manoj>  I want to have foo_1.1.dsc foo_1.1.tar.gz foo_1.1_i386.deb

    Manoj>  bar_1.1.orig.tar.gz bar_1.1-13.dsc bar_1.1-13.diff.gz
    Manoj> bar_1.1-13_i386.deb

Exactly the same as a non-native package.

No one (as far as I am aware) is trying to force you to create a
native package just because you happen to be the author as well as the
packager.

You have to be careful to keep the roles (upstream author vs
maintainer) separate (eg. don't get confused and put upstream changes
in the Debian diff file or vice-versa). Even if you do get this wrong,
it is still easy to fix, just release a new upstream version.

Some people don't want to do worry about this, so these people can use
native format, and not have to worry about the extra diff file.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>