Re: native pkg versioning (was Re: Question about native packages)

>>"Henrique" == Henrique M Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> writes:

 Henrique> Erk. Let me see if I understood your point...

 Henrique> You would not oppose forbidding debian revision fields for
 Henrique> native packages (binary and source), but will oppose
 Henrique> forbidding debian revision fields for native packages
 Henrique> (source) and not for native packages (binary) ?

	Umm. I did not understand this at all.

	I guess you shall have to explain the distinction between
 native packages  (source) and  native packages (binary) to me.

	Say, I have a native package foo. Now, foo is small, and for
 the most cases the changes I upload reflect changes in the source;
 and in the case there is only a packaging change, well, the debian
 diff is the same order as the whole package, so it does not make any
 sense to create a separate debian revision.

	Now I have another package baz, which I am also upstream for.
 a) I want to release baz to the whole world, not just debian, but I
    do not want to create a new package whenever a debian package change
    occurs
 b) The package is huge, and I do not want to upload the whole
    source.tar.gz whenever a packaging change occurs;

	I create a orig,tar,gz, a diff.gz (containing the ./debian
 dir, for the most part), and a debian revision; just packaging
 changes do not cause the whole source to be uploaded, or the
 ``upstream'' version changed.

	I don't see where the source or binary package enter the
 picture here. What am I missing?

	Are you saying I have
 bar_1.1.tar.gz
 bar_1.1.dsc
 bar1_1-13_i386.deb
	?

 I want to have
 foo_1.1.dsc
 foo_1.1.tar.gz
 foo_1.1_i386.deb

 bar_1.1.orig.tar.gz
 bar_1.1-13.dsc
 bar_1.1-13.diff.gz
 bar_1.1-13_i386.deb

	Are we in disagreement here? What is it that you are calling a
 (source) package? As I see it,
 bar source == bar_1.1.orig.tar.gz + bar_1.1-13.dsc + bar_1.1-13.diff.gz?
 foo source == foo_1.1.tar.gz      + foo_1.1.dsc

	manoj
 thoroughly confused now
--

Trying to break out of the Tempter's control, one's mind writhes to
and fro, like a fish pulled from its watery home onto dry ground. 34